Friday, November 11, 2011

Timeless Beauty




Rare 19th c. Serpentine Back Louis XV Walnut Sofa
France
c. 1850

This sofa or settee has a bench style seat that is solid and sturdy and a rare serpentine back that follows the soft curves of the wooden walnut frame. Completely restored down to the 8 way hand tied springs and newly upholstered in a simple white cotton canvas fabric. Handcarved walnut frame with shell carvings on cabriole legs and front. Exquisite detail and patina. Deep, comfortable sofa that can easily accommodate 3 adults.

Sigh....

















To view this piece and others in my inventory, please visit my 1stdibs storefront.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Classic! And yes...timeless! I love it!

    Dorothy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an elegant piece! And I loved your Poland post; I am Ukrainian Polish on my mother's side (and German, Jewish and British on my dad's) and I haven't had a chance to travel to Eastern Europe yet...now I really want to see Poland for myself!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please don't be shy and share your thoughts.