Saturday, March 3, 2012

Minimalism Meets Decadence


La Maison des Champs-Elysées:  The first hotel to be decorated by Martin Margiela, the renowned Belgian fashion designer.  Yes, you heard me right, a fashion designer.  In this absolutely gorgeous historical building, which dates back to 1864, fashion meets architecture and the two blend in seamlessly.

Take a look.



The Maison Champs Elysées successfully combines classical and avant-garde styles to create an elegant, relaxing environment.



The impressive and slick lobby.




The dramatic contrast between old and new is captivating.





I can't take my eyes off these danish style modernist chairs.










Painted mouldings echo the architectural details of this historic Parisian building.





I adore the contrast of minimalism with decadence as brought forth by this beaded chandelier.  For a similar one, visit my 1stdibs store here.




Margiela wanted to bring black and white drama to his design and contrasted white rooms against black ones.




So art deco.




A bronze and marble staircase contrasts with the belgian linen upholstered fabric Margiela is well known for.









The belgian linen upholstery makes this lounge inviting.  









I can't get enough of these chairs!




La Maison des Champs Elysees
8, rue Jean Goujon
75008 Paris
Tel. +33 (0)1 40 74 64 65    
Fax.. +33 (0)1 70 36 54 63


I hope you enjoyed this design tour as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.

Have a wonderful weekend wherever this post finds you.

www.KarinaGentinetta.1stdibs.com

1 comment:

  1. Last September, I stayed at the San Régis, which is literally right nextdoor to this hotel. While the Maison des Champs-Elysée is audacious, it's just too much of a style statement for me. If you prefer substance over style, try the San Régis, designed by Pierre-Yves Rochon. To each his or her own!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please don't be shy and share your thoughts.