Sunday, May 2, 2010

Keeping the Faith as Another Tragedy Hits the Gulf Coast

I just finished doing a post on Swedish antiques. However, as I pressed the "publish post" button, I felt a sense of angst and a bit of sadness for not writing what was truly on my mind. Don't get me wrong, you should read the post on Swedish furniture as it is an inspiring one. However, I felt compelled to write something about "design" because that is what is expected of some of these blogs. But after sending it, I realized that you can read about that in any book, at any time. I felt hypocritical to write about something that seems so small compared to what I really wanted to write about which is what is going on in the Gulf Coast right now. I know that most, if not all, of you have read or heard about the oil spill in the Gulf Coast. Even to us in New Orleans, initially the news seemed like a distant story about a tragic event somewhere out there. Not really having much to do with "us" or "me" or anything relative to the present. But as the oil started approaching our wetlands (and by "our" I don't mean just us in Louisiana), and the whole picture of the effects of this tragedy has began unfolding, I realize that it is something that is worth more than just a passing concern. If you haven't done so, please take a moment to read about it. President Obama was here this afternoon and truly realized the impact this event will have not just on Louisiana and our neighboring states, but on the whole country and the economy. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will.

As for us here, it is again a reminder that our world is such a precious place and it is up to us to take care of it. I have already signed up to volunteer in the clean up efforts in whatever capacity I can (even if it means serving food to the volunteers themselves). What breaks my heart, in addition to the families of the 11 offshore workers who died in the explosion, is the devastating effect this will have on our wildlife, fisherman and wetlands. The wetlands are our natural barriers and protection. It also is home to much wildlife. Rescue efforts have been deployed to not only contain the oil that keeps leaking at the rate of 5,000 barrels a day, but also to help those animals whose lives are endangered. I ask that you please take a moment to do whatever you think you can to help out not only for the Gulf Coast Region's sake, but also for the wellbeing of so many other Americans who will be impacted by this tragedy. Also, if you are able, please donate to a wildlife rescue organization in your area that may be helping to this cause. Already, we've seen a tremendous response from the wildlife rescue organizations in California and we thank you for that. We are all in this together.

Below are some recent photos that speak a thousand words.











12 comments:

  1. Karina... how terrible! It is such a tragedy when these kind of disasters occur. We have had similar oil spills here in Australia with oil slicks in the ocean and covering beaches and wildlife so we are thinking of you. Good luck with all your efforts.
    Kind regards
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frances, I forgot that you too are all too familiar with this. Thank you for taking the time to tell me so. Yours, Karina

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart breaks at this tragedy. I know it will affect so many. The photos of the endangered wildlife are especially heartbreaking.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look what "Drill, Baby, Drill!" hath wrought. We have probably killed the Gulf, and ruined the lives of the people who live there. This breaks my heart. We are very poor stewards of the earth-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claudia, I know how much you love animals. I know you feel the same as I do.

    Betsy, you could not have said it better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart bleeds for you all and having seen the devastation one small broken ship (in comparison) did and is doing to our reef I cannot conceive the damage that will be wrought in your world.
    How do we change our reliance on oil and how de we change it NOW?
    I wish I could be there to help you, my thoughts are with you all

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart and my thougts with you too,dear Karina!

    Love,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gypsy Purple, thanks for reading my posts, especially since I know how busy you are with yours.

    Julienne, how I wish you lived nearby. You are so sweet and I know we'd be best friends. You have a very kind soul.

    Violetta, you are one of my most loyal groupies and I don't know what I'd do without your constant comments and sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just purchased another bottle of Dawn liquid dish soap and went to their website and entered the code on the bottle which activates a $1 donation. I always buy this brand for this very reason. They have commercials here in Canada that show them using the soap to clean oil off the wildlife. Their website shows the commercial. Great product wish everyone out their would show their support and buy this soap!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karina hope you don't mind but I have pinched an image from here for tonights post so thank you for this I wished we lived nearby too xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a tragedy I feel as if we still are trying to get over the last gas spill.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please don't be shy and share your thoughts.