Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas In New Orleans

You don't normally think of New Orleans during Christmas time. But we deck our center halls in our shotgun houses just like everyone else. So while you are inside, wherever you are, snuggled with your hot chocolate and powdered beignets, I thought I'd share some scenes of my city during this time of year so that you too can get into the Creole Christmas spirit.

Decorated wrought iron fence in Garden District (photo from Flickr).


Once in a blue, blue moon, we do get snow! This was a rare event for us in 2005 and again in 2009.

The beautiful Academy of the Sacred Heart on St. Charles Avenue (an all girls' catholic school from pre-k to highschool). My sister, Vanesa, is the government teacher there and I understand I have quite a few followers from the school. I'm so honored!


The French Quarter...

Loyola University's chapel.


Some more festive scenes in the French Quarter...


Christmas on Fulton Street.

More French Quarter....


There goes that Streetcar again down St. Charles Avenue. Last year, my kids, sisters and mother took it all the way down to the Fairmont Hotel (now the Roosevelt Hotel) which gets decked out in a Christmas wonderland (below).


The Roosevelt Hotel.


A New Orleans Creole Christmas dinner.


Beautiful.


The Monteleone Hotel.


A streetlight.


Christmas Under the Oaks at our beautiful City Park.


People strolling in the French Quarter.


Wish I could tell you who decorated this beautiful marble fireplace, but unfortunately, I saved this photo in my folder without a name.


The annual Christmas Caroling on Jackson Square infront of St. Louis Cathedral. Everyone gets a candle and lights it at the same time. It is a beautiful sight.


A holiday table setting by Perch in New Orleans.


A christmas tree in a New Orleans Garden District Home (photo by Coco of Cococozy).

Hope you enjoyed Christmas in New Orleans!

11 comments:

  1. HOW gorgeous and absolutely fantastic is your post,dear Karina!!!
    All these images making a realy magic Christmas mood,dreamly,dreamly nice:-)*

    Wish you beautiful Christmas days!!!

    Much Love,
    ***Violetta***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Violetta. Your kind comments are always so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know how badly I wanted to see this for myself!

    Happiest Holidays to you guys!

    xox

    Todd & Sandy & the pooches

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sandy, I have a feeling you'll be back soon.

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  5. O Holy Night! What a festive and gorgeous tour of a lovely city.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Leigha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigha, thanks for commenting! I love to read everyone's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely blog. I would love to see New Orleans at this time of year! In my upcoming years....and on my wishlist!
    Happy Holidays!
    L.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karina, thanks for the peek at my beloved New Orleans at Christmas!

    xoxo

    Kit

    ReplyDelete
  9. passez un bon fétes de fin d'année.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ian, j'espère que vous avez une magnifique saison de jour férié aussi. Merci pour votre commentaire.

    Kit, I cannot wait to see you in town again. Maybe for this new year???

    La Maison Fou, I hope your wishlist comes true and that we get to see you in New Orleans.

    Merry Christmas to all of you,

    Karina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Karina ... this looks absolutely stunning! I wish you and your beautiful family a very happy Christmas and all my best wishes for a wonderful New Year! New Orleans looks magical and I so wish I could come and visit you. I know I will fall in love with your beautiful city! I will email soon ... just to let you know everyone loves the sofa!!!!!

    hugs and best wishes
    Frances

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please don't be shy and share your thoughts.