Sunday, February 5, 2012

New Beginning


I cannot believe that it's been already a year since that fabulous Elle Decor party launching the grand opening of the 1stdibs floor at the New York Design Center (200 Lexington Avenue, NYC) on February of 2011.  Indeed, it has been a year of growing and learning for everyone involved (from 1stdibs to NYDC to us dealers).  For me, especially, new into this whole amazing world of design, NY has been somewhat of a culture shock -- in a fantastic kind of way.  Being the only one on the 1stdibs floor from New Orleans (actually, the only one south of the Mason-Dixon line for that matter!), it has proven to be quite the challenge.  But I'm loving every single moment of it.

On Friday, I flew up to NYC for the day and with the enormous help of my friend, Sandy Foster, who unsolicitedly took the day off to drive to the city, pick me up from the airport and spend the entire day helping me do the work of at least 4 strong men (which we didn't have!), to redo my entire gallery at the NYDC.

Sandy managed to get us one of those industrial dollies from the loading dock downstairs and the two of us lifted and pulled and moved all the furniture into my new space.  We worked until the lights went out and walked out with the sales team who wondered what kind of vitamins two skinny girls in 3 inch heels took to be able to do what we did that day.

We were so down to the wire that I did not have time to snap any photos of my new space, other than these two "action" photos that Sandy took with her cell phone (probably by accident) before we were done.  But at least it's a bit of a sneak preview.   I cannot wait for my White Feather Murano Glass Chandelier to arrive from Italy next week to complete the look.

 Adding a sheepskin throw on the back of my gorgeous 19th c. Louis XV Serpentine Back Walnut Sofa.


Very chaotic at this point but you can get the jest of it.

Needless to say, I was near comatose yesterday and every one of my muscles (muscles which I did not even know I had) ached.  But it felt so good!!!!!

So here is to another year at 1stdibs@NYDC.  If you haven't already done so and you happen to be in Manhattan, stop by and visit.  The 1stdibs floor (on the 10th floor) is open to both the trade and public Monday through Saturday and the sales team there (John, Nancy, Blair, and Stefania) as well as general manager Louise Tanis are ready to help you find that absolute perfect piece for you.

For any of the pieces you see in these photos, please visit my 1stdibs store at www.KarinaGentinetta.1stdibs.com

Have a wonderful day wherever this post finds you.


9 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous! I can't even imagine what it will look like finished... off to look a that STUNNING sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alpha Blonde, for that support! BTW, you get the price for the best username. Maybe I should be Alpha Brunette! :) How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, that should have been "prize" not "price". I hate typos, especially when I make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anticipating a post like this...the wait was well worth it. I absolutely love what you've done to this show-room. As well, I'm anxious to start shopping (again) from your store front. With work on our home beyond the half-way mark, I can't wait to add more disegno Gentinetta to the rooms! Thanks for sharing these images...as always, it's inspiring!

    Dorothy-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dorothy, I've so missed you! Thanks for the wonderful comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwwe, what a sweet post, my friend! Had a great time & hope everything sells in one swell foop. ;-)

    The hard work is probably the only reason you lost to AJ on the ABBA Wii dance game.

    xoxoxoxoxoxo

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karina .....these new pieces look incredible and I LOVE that sofa! So gorgeous! I am off to have a look at the store! You must have had a fantastic yet exhausting day with Sandy and so much fun. Love the little black dress and heels!!!!!! I love that we girls can accomplish so much and still look professional .... well done!
    hugs and best wishes always
    Fran xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karina,

    Isn't it wonderful to have friends to drop everything to help-even help with the grunt work! I'm sure you and Sandy were quite the working pair! I hope your show is a huge succes!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Speaking of typos...I meant "success"
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please don't be shy and share your thoughts.